THE RED ARMY: Were taken by surprise when the Wehrmacht invaded the Soviet Union on 22nd June 1941. The German Blitzkrieg pushed the Red Army back who suffered huge losses in the Germans drive deep into Russia. German units advanced as far as the out skirts of Moscow but were beaten back by Red Army Siberian troops.
In August 1942 Hitler directed
the 4th Panzer Army towards Stalingrad. The Red Army & Red Navy defenders
made the German 6th Army, who held most of the city, pay a high price as they
defended and fought for every street, every house and every room.
The Soviet defenders were supplied with reinforcements, weapons and supplies from across the river Volga and were able to contain the 6th Army. The Red Army eventually surrounded the German 6th Army who were 'cut off' and surrendered with their 'Allies' on 2nd February 1943. Over two German armies were destroyed and wiped from the order of battle. Now the Red Army went over to the offensive!
Stalingrad the Wehrmacht
attacked the area around
Prokhovkha near Kursk in July 1943. The Red Army was ready for this massive
tank battle, which is still the largest tank battle to date. The battle was
planned for July and consisted of 2 million troops, hundreds of thousands
of armoured vehicles and tanks, artillery and thousands of Aircraft. After
two weeks of attrition with both sides taking heavy losses, the Germans retreated,
they had lost many troops, equipment and command of the skies. From then on
the Germans were on the defensive!
'After Stalingrad the Russians knew that the Germans could be beaten, After Kursk, they knew that they would win'
Unit member receives a bi-monthly newsletter the KZ is named Red Star. We participate in a number events through out the year and some involve our participation in a public battle display. We have had annual unit trips abroad which have included Russia, Finland, Czech Republic and Germany. Click on our Video Page and view event footage.
Click here to Join the 2nd GUARDS RIFLE DIVISION
was updated in January 2013
1. Visit the EVENTS page to see where the unit will be in 2013.
HISTORY page gives you the beginings and present
history of the
2nd Guards Rifle Division.
3. GALLERY1 has all the pictures that were taken at our events.
4. GALLERIES 2, 3 and 4 are picture galleries.
1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 gives details on Red Army equipment
that Red Army troops used.
6. The LINKS page gives you links to web sites that may be of use to you.
7. The NEW MEMBERS page is for the new amounst us. You can learn what to buy and wear without making mistakes.
8. The SUPPLEMENTS page informs unit members of the details of the forthcoming event, such as the directions, the scenario and uniform to wear etc.
9. DESKTOP pictures are for you to download onto your desktop, more are being added.
10. Click the VIDEO button for video footage taken at events via 'you tube'.
RANK Insignia page gives
you all the Red Army ranks during the Great Patriotic War.
From the early Insignia, the Obr35 to the Obr 43 insignia.
12. The AWARDS page shows the medals and awards open to all unit members who show committment and dedication.